Dale Finucane suspension for Stephen Crichton tackle, judicial results, Corey Waddell eye gouge

Cronulla star Dale Finucane failed to overturn a dangerous contact charge, but had a small win in a surprise twist at the NRL judiciary.

Finucane was whacked with a grade three dangerous contact charge for a tackle on Penrith center Stephen Crichton, in which the latter’s left ear was lacerated badly.

Crichton was left needing stitches and consulting a plastic surgeon, but the tackle went unpenalized at the time.

READMORE: Hasler apologizes for ‘significant’ Manly ‘mistake’

READMORE: Gallen rips Manly over forgotten victims of jersey saga

READMORE: New twist in Wests Tigers refereeing furore

The match review committee saw it differently and charged Finucane. He could have accepted a two-game suspension, but he chose to plead not guilty at the judiciary.

He argued his case in front of judicial chair Geoff Bellew and panel members Dallas Johnson and Bob Lindner on Tuesday night.

After almost two hours, there was a unanimous decision of guilty, which resulted in a three-game ban.

But Finucane’s team pulled a cunning ploy and then challenged the grading of the charge, trying to reduce it from three to one.

After another half-hour of arguments and deliberation, the panel agreed to downgrade it to two, resulting in a two-game ban.

Earlier, he had explained the contact was a head clash, rather than his shoulder contacting Crichton’s head.

“I felt the contact with the left side of my face make contact with the left side of Stephen Crichton’s face and that’s the only contact I felt,” Finucane told the panel.

“I didn’t feel any contact with my shoulder and his face.

“The objective was to limit the amount of meters they could make on the field by getting the player that was isolated.

“It’s not standard tackling to try and do that and as I said it wasn’t my intention to make head to head contact. But the pivot motion and lowering of the leg by Stephen Crichton led to the collision.”

Finucane’s legal representative, Nick Ghabar, argued the fact Crichton lowered his height before the impact made the tackle look worse.

“He bends his left leg forward. He can’t get any lower to make an effective tackle,” Ghabar said of Finucane.

“There is nothing in respect that he could have done to avoid the tackle. That’s what he told you.

“You will note that there is no referee report in front of you. The referee saw this as nothing more than the head clash, which is an accepted risk of playing rugby league.”

Finucane will miss Cronulla’s games against the Rabbitohs and Dragons.

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.